Heart shaped cookies for your valentine and the perfect red colour! If you love someone, you want them to be around for as long as possible! Just because it’s a “commercial” day of love, why not give them a delicious treat, that’s home-made and won’t ruin their health?
Ok here’s the scoop – one version can be done without the dark chocolate and these then actually become a delicious snack with creamy goat cheese. Or with at least 72% dark chocolate you’re looking at that ultimate indulgence and of course adding lots of lovely anti-oxidants. Super easy and great to share!
Valentine Cookie Bites:
Makes around 50 small hearts or 25 large hearts
1 tbsp coconut oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 large beetroot chopped fairly small
50g dried pitted dates
splash of water
1/2 a vanilla pod, seeds scraped out or a few drops of essence
45g cacao block, sugar free (I use Willis Cacao) roughly chopped
pinch of himalayan salt
200g ground almonds
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (sieved)
40g 72% or more dark chocolate buttons (if you are adding) roughly chopped.
Preheat the oven: 140C
1) Peel and chop the beetroot, throw in a pan with the coconut oil and the lemon juice – lid on bring up to boil and then let simmer away for about 30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool.
2) In the meantime put your dates, vanilla and a splash of water in another pan; cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes until most of the liquid has gone and the dates are soft. Allow to cool.
3) Blitz the softened, cooled dates in a food processor to make a paste.
4) Add the cooled beetroot including any liquid/juice left and the goat butter and blitz some more, until smooth.
5) Over a bain-marie melt the Cacao. Then add this to the beetroot mixture with a pinch of salt. Blitz again and then add the ground almonds and blitz briefly to combine.
6) Put the mixture into a large mixing bowl – add the bicarbonate of soda and fold in the roughly chopped dark chocolate buttons, if using.
7) Put a large ball of the mixture between two sheets of greaseproof paper – roll to about 3-5mm thick and get to work with your heart shaped cookie cutters – you might want to use a knife to cut away the excess mixture and leave the cookies on the sheet as you cut them – then you can just lift the sheet onto a baking sheet to cook. Repeat until you have no mixture left!
8) Once they are all cut out bake in the oven for 20-25mins. Allow to cool before serving as the cookie bites firm up as they cool.
A little heart shaped gift box with home made cookies – who can resist?
And how about a little Love tea too?
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! 🙂